Here is your quick and easy guide to the most commonly asked questions about cosmetic dentistry.
1. What Is a Cosmetic Dentist?
A traditional family dentist focuses primarily on the health of a patient’s teeth and gums, preventing tooth decay, and addressing issues that impact oral health. A cosmetic dentist goes further, to help patients attain a more perfect smile and improve the appearance of their teeth and mouth.
2. Why Do People See a Cosmetic Dentist?
All types of people work with cosmetic dentists when the appearance of their teeth or smile are important to their career, lifestyle, or self-esteem. Anyone with damaged teeth, discoloration, gaps, and missing or crooked teeth can find solutions through cosmetic dentistry procedures.
3. What Are the Most Common Cosmetic Dental Procedures?
Some of the most common procedures for improving the appearance of teeth include:
- ● Teeth whitening, which can be done more effectively in the dentist’s office than at home
- ● Dental bonding, which fills gaps and chips or mends cracked teeth by bonding materials to the tooth surface
- ● Dental veneers, which are thin porcelain coverings custom made to adhere to the front of your teeth and eliminate stains, small gaps, and imperfections
- ● Dental implants, which replace missing teeth with a custom-made replacement
- ● Smile makeovers, where a comprehensive treatment plan is created to improve the overall appearance of your smile
4. Does Cosmetic Dentistry Improve Oral Health?
Some of these procedures will only impact the appearance of your teeth, but others do benefit your oral health in a number of ways.
- ● Replacing missing teeth with implants will prevent the movement of surrounding teeth, making chewing easier and helping to prevent bone loss in the jaw.
- ● Inlays and onlays or full dental crowns help prevent tooth loss caused by tooth decay or damage.
- ● Veneers can protect cracked or chipped teeth or thin enamel, helping to prevent further damage or tooth loss.
5. Why Are Dental Veneers So Popular?
Veneers are rising in popularity because they cover discolored teeth, cracks, and even small gaps between teeth, giving the appearance of beautiful natural teeth. The procedure to apply veneers is painless, and they will also cover stains that cannot be removed by whitening.
6. How Can a Broken Tooth Be Saved?
Cosmetic dentistry procedures can repair a broken tooth in a number of ways. Dental bonding can repair minor cracks or chips. Veneers can cover a chip or crack on the outward surface of a tooth, or you may need a crown to replace the broken part of the tooth and protect the root.
7. Why Does Teeth Whitening Fail?
Usually, professional teeth whitening removes the stains of everyday substances. However, when stains develop in childhood, from antibiotic use, or because of an injury, they will not be removed by standard whitening techniques. Deeply set stains or those caused by excessive fluoride might require veneers to correct. Also, whitening will not change the appearance of existing crowns, bridges, or veneers.
8. Can a Cosmetic Dentist Fix a Gap Between Teeth?
If your teeth are misaligned, a cosmetic dentist can fit you for Invisalign teeth straightening, but if your teeth are straight with a small gap, there are faster solutions available. A small space can be fixed with dental bonding or veneers. Bonding typically lasts 4-8 years, while veneers last approximately 15 years.
9. Will Insurance Pay for Cosmetic Dentistry?
Every policy is different, but in most cases dental insurance will help with the costs of any treatments that work to repair damage or restore teeth. Procedures which they deem purely cosmetic, like tooth whitening or dental implants, are usually not covered. Check with your insurance provider for specific details.
10. How Do I Choose the Best Cosmetic Dentist?
Cosmetic dentists vary widely in their years of experience, areas of expertise, and abilities to practice both the art and science of cosmetic dentistry. You should look for glowing references, public recognition, advanced degrees, and proof of continuing education.
Dr. Joseph Goodman is a highly trained cosmetic dentist who has helped celebrities and rising stars improve their award-winning smiles. He has been voted “Best Dentist” and “Top Dentist” in the area many times, lectures internationally, and has appeared on The Doctors and KTLA as an expert in the field. You can schedule an appointment today with his Top Beverly Hills Dentist practice and discuss the best options for your own stunning smile.